12/29/08

Marketing is Everything

As Israel bombs the balls out of the Gaza Strip, the protesters in San Francisco come out of the woodwork to meet outside the Montgomery station and chant their piece. One woman was wearing a sign that said, "Gaza: The Jewish Holocaust." I'm not sure what side that puts her on. Is she saying that Palestinians are perpetrating a "holocaust" on the Jews of Gaza, or is she saying that the Jews ie Israel are perpetrating a "holocaust" on Gaza? I don't get it either way, but pine for the days when protest was just a simple no to this, or anti-sign that. Too much room for interpretation muddles the cause.

This evening, my sister back in town, we went to a restaurant I swore I'd never return to, Luna Park. It's just too hipster and loud and expensive, and it bore me out all over again. I ordered broccoli mac and cheese that was good but so rich that I could barely get five bites in before I was ready to surrender. My sister ordered a turkey "blue plate special," that actually came out on a blue plate, except the blue plate was all sectioned off like those plates you see at soup kitchens with areas for mashed potatoes, green beans, etc. In one of the slots, they had this cheap candle, and she said it made her feel embarrassed to be eating it, like the restaurant was calling out her cheapness with a flare, and that the presentation made good gourmet food taste like crap.

Everything is marketing. The future is plastics.

No comments: